- 1 Can I just buy a new key for my car?
- 2 How do I get a replacement set of car keys?
- 3 Can you get a replacement car key without the original?
- 4 Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
- 5 Can a dealership cut a key with just the VIN number?
- 6 Does AutoZone make key copies?
- 7 Where can I make an extra key?
- 8 What if I lost my car key?
- 9 What do I do if I find a key to my car?
- 10 What happens if you lost the key to a rental car?
Can I just buy a new key for my car?
You could get a replacement key at any hardware store or locksmith and, of course, the car dealership. Basic keys can be copied at any dealership, locksmith or hardware store. Laser-cut, or sidewinder keys, are harder to copy and are more expensive than a basic key.
How do I get a replacement set of car keys?
5 Steps To Get a Replacement Key for Your Car
- Obtain VIN.
- Contact a locksmith.
- Have a locksmith make the key, and a dealer program it.
- If the key is very complex, have the dealership replace it.
- Consider price versus reliability.
Can you get a replacement car key without the original?
You can replace your lost car key at a locksmith, even if you don’t have the original key. Going straight to a locksmith may be more cost-effective than going to your car dealer, but you’ll need some information to make the process easier.
Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
While lost car keys aren’t necessarily covered by car insurance, most policies will provide some coverage if your keys are stolen. Comprehensive insurance generally includes coverage for stolen keys, providing a benefit to help cover the cost of replacing or recoding the keys and locking mechanisms of your vehicle.
Can a dealership cut a key with just the VIN number?
As long as you can prove ownership of your vehicle a car key can be made with the Vehicle Identification Number aka VIN number. Once a key code is pulled from the VIN number a car key can be cut.
Does AutoZone make key copies?
Blank key prices range from $3 to $6, and AutoZone can cut and copy keys for your car. AutoZone also sells remote key fobs and transponder key fobs ranging in price from $15 to $90. You might still need to visit a dealership or locksmith to program your new car key fob.
Where can I make an extra key?
Here are the most common home improvement stores where you can have keys made.
- Home Depot. Home Depot is one of the biggest home improvement stores in the country and offers key cutting at every location.
- Ace Hardware.
- True Value Hardware.
- Rite Aid.
What if I lost my car key?
If you lose it: You could call a locksmith, who can come and make you a new key on the spot. In some cases—an unusual or older vehicle—a locksmith may not be able to help. You might need to buy a new ignition lock cylinder and key from the dealer or an independent repair shop.
What do I do if I find a key to my car?
So what options do you have?
- Hand the key in to the police. Doing this will win you no friends at the police station, because they’ll have to file the key in a lost-and-found, when they know that nobody will ever come to pick it up.
- Throw the key into the bin.
- Do nothing whatsoever.
What happens if you lost the key to a rental car?
Lost Rental Car Keys It’s common for major rental car companies to offer a roadside assistance package for an extra fee. The company will provide specific instructions, but expect to have to pay the cost of having a tow truck take the car to the nearest rental company location as well as the cost of a replacement key.