- 1 How much does it cost to replace a car key without the original?
- 2 How can I get a car key made without a key?
- 3 Can AutoZone make a key without the original?
- 4 Can I get a car key made with just the VIN number?
- 5 How much does a replacement car key cost?
- 6 What to do if you lose your car key and have no spare?
- 7 Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
- 8 How do you make a key when you lost the original?
- 9 Does AutoZone copy house keys?
- 10 Can AutoZone make key from VIN number?
- 11 How can I get a key made from a VIN number?
- 12 Does AAA make replacement keys?
How much does it cost to replace a car key without the original?
If you have an older car, you can replace your car key for $3 to $7. A new key can be more expensive if you have a newer car with an electronic key or another specialized car key. Replacement car keys with chips, transponders, or fobs can cost up to $250, depending on your area and labor costs.
How can I get a car key made without a key?
If you lose it: You could call a locksmith, who can come and make you a new key on the spot. In some cases—an unusual or older vehicle—a locksmith may not be able to help. You might need to buy a new ignition lock cylinder and key from the dealer or an independent repair shop.
Can AutoZone make a key without the original?
AutoZone sells blank automotive keys that are compatible with BMW, Mercedes, Honda, Volvo, Kia, Mazda, Toyota, and Chrysler, among others. Blank key prices range from $3 to $6, and AutoZone can cut and copy keys for your car. You might still need to visit a dealership or locksmith to program your new car key fob.
Can I get a car key made with just the VIN number?
As long as you can prove ownership of your vehicle a car key can be made with the Vehicle Identification Number aka VIN number. Once a key code is pulled from the VIN number a car key can be cut. *However most vehicles keys also have transponders in them and need be programmed to the car.
How much does a replacement car key cost?
Replacing a car key will cost anywhere from $50 to $600 to replace depending on what type of key you have and where you go to have the key replaced. Basic keys will be the least expensive, where as keyless entry remote can be extremely expensive to replace especially if you have a luxury brand vehicle.
What to do if you lose your car key and have no spare?
Car key replacement can be handled in a few different ways.
- You can go to the dealership – Most expensive option, not for emergencies.
- Do it yourself – Need the tools and knowledge but still possible.
- Call a locksmith – Can be there quickly, will get the job done, less expensive than dealership.
Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
While lost car keys aren’t necessarily covered by car insurance, most policies will provide some coverage if your keys are stolen. Comprehensive insurance generally includes coverage for stolen keys, providing a benefit to help cover the cost of replacing or recoding the keys and locking mechanisms of your vehicle.
How do you make a key when you lost the original?
If it’s a lost key a locksmith can make you a key without the original, as locksmiths can make keys to lock by hand. By using a blank and a file and the skills, they’ve developed over the years a locksmith can create a key from scratch without the need for an original key.
Does AutoZone copy house keys?
AutoZone takes the keys and duplicates them to a precise accuracy. The keys are also cut digitally, using state-of-the-art equipment, tools and technology. Your key will be cut to your satisfaction before you leave your AutoZone, or they will cut it over again.
Can AutoZone make key from VIN number?
Well yes and no. AutoZone and many of the other big box auto parts retailers do have car remotes and key fobs to sell. They come with instructions to self-program those remotes in. Some stores will help you with that programming.
How can I get a key made from a VIN number?
How to Get a Car Key Replacement: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Get Your VIN. To get a new car key, you’ll need to have your vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Call an Automotive Locksmith.
- Check Your Car Insurance or Vehicle Warranty.
- Reach Out to the Dealership (If Necessary)
- Consider Security and Reliability.
Does AAA make replacement keys?
No Keys, No Problem. For AAA members, If all keys are lost we recommend getting AAA to tow your car to any our locations and we can make the key, this is the most affordable way. AAA members wont have any out of pocket expense for the tow and will get $100 of the key covered.